The Staff Selection Commission conducts the Combined Graduate Level Examination to recruit eligible candidates for various Group ‘B’ and Group ‘C’ posts in different Ministries/ Departments/Organisations. It is one of the prestigious examinations conducted every year for which lakhs of candidates compete to get placed in central government jobs. The notification for SSC CGL 2021-22 was released in December 2021. The Computer Based Examination (Tier-I) is scheduled for April 2022 as per the notification.
This examination is a great opportunity for many government job aspirants across the country as thousands of vacancies are filled by SSC in government departments. Serious aspirants must be well aware of the SSC CGL syllabus, subjects and books to refer to for preparation. The exam is conducted in four stages. They are Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3 and Tier-4. Tier-1 & Tier-2 exams will be conducted online, Tier-3 will be a pen and paper-based exam, and Tier-4 will be a computer skill test.
Tier- and Tier-2 are very important phases in the SSC CGL examination process. The important subjects in the Tier-1 and Tier-2 are General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, Statistics and General Studies (Finance and Economics). Important books to study to score well in these subjects are given below.
General Intelligence & Reasoning- Important Books
Usually, candidates score better in General Intelligence and Reasoning than in the other subjects. In Tier-1, 25 questions are asked on this subject with a weightage of 50 marks. Important books to study/work out to score better in this subject are given below.
- Analytical Reasoning by K. Pandey
- New Approach to Reasoning Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical byi, Indu Sijwal i
- Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by S. Aggarwal
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
Quantitative aptitude is an important part of competitive exams in India. This subject covers topics such as average, numbers, simple and compound interests, partnership, problems on ages, calendar, boats and streams, clock, height and distance, percentage, pipes and cisterns, profit and loss, speed, time and distance, simple interest, problem on trains, time and work, etc. The below-mentioned books help to cover all the important topics of quantitative aptitude for SSC preparation.
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by S. Aggarwal
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma
- Quantitative Abilities Arithmetic Ability by Kiran Prakashan
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Quicker Maths by Tyra
- Arithmetic for General Competition Vol 1 & 2 by Neetu Singh
The English language is important for both Tier-1 and Tier-2 of the SSC CGL examination. This subject/section tests the candidates’ ability to understand correct English, basic comprehension and writing ability, etc. Some important books to refer to for the SSC CGL English language preparation are,
- Objective General English by P. Bakshi
- Quick Learning Objective General English by S. Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by M. Prasad
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by Wren & Martin
- High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren & Martin
- Perfect Competitive English by K. Sinha
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Competitive General English by Kiran Prakashan
General awareness is a very important subject because scoring well in this subject gives an extra edge over other competitors in the examination. The following books are recommended for the exam.
- NCERTs from VI to XII standards
- Manorama Yearbook
- Current Affairs by Disha Publications
- MCQs on General Awareness subjects
- MCQs on Current Affairs
Paper III of SSC CGL Tier-2 deals with statistics. If the candidates have applied for Junior Statistical Officer, then they have to appear for Paper III, i.e., statistics. The important books to go through for the SSC CGL statistics paper preparation are,
- Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Tier-II (Paper-III) Statistics Exam Guide by R. Gupta
- Kiran SSC CGL Tier 2 Paper 3 Statistics Solved Papers
The above-mentioned books for each subject are very important for the SSC CGL examination. The candidates have to choose the study material that suits their style of preparation. The market is flooded with study material. Going through all the study materials available in the market will not serve the purpose of cracking SSC CGL. Limited study material with more number of revisions will help in scoring good marks required to make it to the final list. For more information on the SSC exam, read the linked article.
pls check the name of the author
@[email protected] their second name is Sijwali
same as above